The Bridge to Permanent Employment

temping-bridge to employmentForget the stereotypes and caricatures you’ve seen in the movies, temping is an integral part of the employment structure of businesses of all types and sizes.

While some candidates enjoy the variety and flexibility of temporary assignments, others are looking for a permanent placement. Accepting a one-, two- or three- month assignment might not be ideal for everyone, but it might get you inside a good company and closer to a permanent job than if you’d spent that time as a full-time job seeker. A great number of recent college graduates are turning to temporary or contract employment as a way to gain experience – and contacts – in line with their career interests. According to the American Staffing Association, 72% of temporary employees obtain permanent jobs while working for a staffing company. The percentage of permanent temps in the remaining 28% was not indicated in the study.

Hiring professionals especially appreciate the temp-to-perm method of employment. With the cost of hiring, separation, and re-hiring increasing steadily over the past decade, they realize that a one-hour interview may not give the candidate or the employer enough time to judge the true scope of a job, or the true value of the employee. The “temp” period offers both parties the opportunity to determine if the fit is right before a commitment is made (and reams of forms are completed).

Many temps find unexpected advantages: working in different environments makes them more confident in their ability to learn; meeting other employees and fellow temps increases their networking opportunities; they may be recommended for positions in other departments within the company by virtue of their performance. When a permanent position becomes available, isn’t it better to be known to hiring managers than to apply as a “cold recruit”?

Being aware of the impact each temporary assignment can have and partnering with the right agency will give you the foundation to build that bridge from being unemployed or under-employed to reaching your employment goal.

© Sandra Heath

Sandra Heath and AssociatesDownload a pdf of this article